Thank you to these backers who submitted ideas:
- Erik Missio
- Darren Reynolds
- Jamie Yakeleya
- Jesse Holden
- Dave Jordan
Thank you to all my backers. Even if you didn’t submit an idea this couldn’t have been made without you!
Here’s what the backers submitted.
The ones in bold are the ones I tried to work in.
- Bored office working Mummy
- Talking about spaceships
- A.I blind date – In retrospect I think this was meant to be going on a date with artificial intelligence, but I took it to be going on a date arranged by AI, or online dating.
- The beast is loose – Mentioned at the end when the lobster is set free. Also, I changed the phrasing a little bit so it could double as a Star Wars reference.
- coffee with honey instead of sugar – this is why the beginning of the story is set in a coffee shop, and why Stacy has a honey bear on her table.
- rain – Easy. It rained.
- anxiety – I tried to think of what would make a blind date even more anxious. I thought your date showing up with his friends would work.
- A lobster with a monocle
- cats made out of legos – well, not made out of exactly, but named Lego.
- a very sad pancake – *It’s not a pancake, it’s a waffle.”
- the California raisins
- A super-advanced tech gadget– no joke, at 2AM I thought “Oh, an iPhone works for this!”
- Riding an unusual animal with a saddle – Lobster has a saddle on after night fall in the Waffle House, implying that they had tried to ride him.
- An earlier scene retold from another character’s perspective
- A song that has a peculiar effect on listeners
- College Roommates
- The Waffle House
- Ben Folds Five is a FUCKING ASSHOLE
- Deflated balloon
- animal sidekick– This is why she has a kitten!
- Dustin Checks In (1996′ on laserdisc)
- John Siracusa’s storage locker of once-used toaster ovens – This is totally a cheat, but there’s a closet in the Waffle House labeled “Toaster Closet” Darn it. I covered up that sign with a word baloon!
- Carnival City – Where lobsters are captured. I wish I could have figured out a way to show this place. I just ran out of time. Carnival City is an awesome name for a city.
- Tiny sculptures
- Torn photograph
I wish I could have gotten them all in. I love every one of these ideas! Thanks for making a crazy comic with me everyone!