The first thing I’ve done is make it easier for new backers to get more value out of pitching in a buck or so to Patreon. I put together this list of some of the best stuff that’s been shared so far, so if you’re a backer it’s all easily explorable.
Just to be clear, I want the vast majority of everything I do to be available free of charge, for everyone, forever. But I’ve been squirreling away interesting things here and there for the folks that have been helping me keep a roof over my head and they’ve begun to accumulate. I don’t want them to be a secret, so I’m sharing some here.
<img src="https://matthewbogart.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ScreenShot2015-02-21at2.14.41PM.png" alt=""/> <img src="https://matthewbogart.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/6_image-asset.png" alt=""/>
The two largest chunks of material that have been reserved for supporters are two new comics about Mary and Nel from The Chairs’ Hiatus.
- How We Met – a four page comic about how Mary and Nel from The Chairs’ Hiatus met.
- Nel Calhoon – a short comic about the time Nel was in the tour van and some shit went down.
<img src="https://matthewbogart.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ScreenShot2015-02-21at10.28.28AM.png" alt=""/>
If you’re backing at $2 or above you can download any of my ebooks free of charge. This post explains how.
Tips and tricks
- How I draw crowds – My technique for drawing crowd scenes quickly.
- A video explaining a trick for not getting lost in drawing needless detail
- A video I made explaining two tricks coloring comics faster that blew my mind.
- How I Write – A video about the thought process and programs I use to write my comics.
I love seeing work in progress versions of pages. I’ve posted tons of them here, many with explanations as to my thinking behind the choices made in them. These are a few of my favorites.
- Pages from “The Private Files of The Fowl” 1, 2, 3
- A screencast of me drawing a page from “Oh, It’s the End of the World”
- Pages from “Oh, It’s the End of the World” 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- A page from “The Chairs’ Hiatus”
Other interesting posts.
- Writing in public. – explains how you can read the scripts of my comics as I write them. Why you would want to I’m not quite sure. Learning? I don’t know.
- A video review of the Microsoft Surface Pro
- On Patreon – a densely edited half hour audio conversation about Patreon, what it means for artists and patrons.